Cannabidiol is one of many cannabinoids in the cannabis plant. Lately, it is gaining popularity in natural medicine since it has been providing a lot of health benefits. There is a loaded controversy around the subject, with few researchers believing that CBD oil can be used for cancer.
While the research is still ongoing, there are speculations that CBD may help manage cancer, primarily by inducing cancer cells’ death and slowing tumor growth. CBD may also help manage the unpleasant symptoms related to cancer therapy, such as nausea, vomiting, and pain. In this article, find all insights about CBD oil and cancer.
CBD & Cancer: What does the research say?
When it comes to research, the most significant difficulty is the number of different types of cancer. With over 200 types of cancer, each has its own unique treatment needs. But, scientists have only ventured into the effects of CBD on a handful of kinds of cancer. Even with that being said, the results have been relatively positive.
There are only a few human studies that have examined the role of CBD in the management of cancer. Here are a few examples:
- A review on pancreatic cancer concluded that cannabinoids help reduce tumor invasion, slow tumor growth, and promote tumor cell death.
- An experimental study on colon cancer suggested that CBD may retard the spread of colorectal cancer cells.
- Another review concluded that cannabinoids are promising compounds in the treatment of gliomas.
- Research that studied the efficacy of models of metastatic breast cancer. It was found that CBD can significantly reduce breast cancer cell invasion and proliferation.
Although these studies show promising results, there’s a lot to explore regarding CBD’s ability to cure cancer. There are still certain types of cancer that need to be examined for the curative effect of CBD. But, CBD may prevent cancer from spreading and worsening in one’s body. There are numerous CBD oils available on the market, such as NuLeaf Naturals, that can help you manage cancer symptoms.
Using CBD oil for Managing Cancer Symptoms
When it comes to treatments like chemotherapy, several unpleasant side effects come with the journey. Although CBD is not a cure, it can manage cancer symptoms and manage cancer treatment-related side effects. Find some of its side effects below:
- Nausea & Vomiting
- Hair loss
- Loss of appetite
CBD holds specific properties that can help alleviate some of these side effects. CBD and other cannabinoids found in cannabis and hemp interact with the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS). These compounds mimic the body’s naturally occurring chemicals and fit into the receptors to maintain a balance in all the body systems.
Image Source: Unsplash
Let’s discuss how CBD can help deal with the symptoms of cancer or cancer treatment.
- Nausea: Nausea is one of the most common symptoms of cancer treatment. Our ECS regulates nausea and vomiting. CBD can combat nausea in cancer patients by returning the balance within the ECS and alleviating nausea.
- Anxiety and Sleep: Cancer and its treatment often get accompanied by anxiety and sleeplessness. CBD is looked up to be beneficial in reducing anxiety and promoting insomnia.
- Loss of Appetite: Many cancer patients experience weight loss due to a lack of appetite. The primary cause of the lack of appetite is extreme nausea brought by traditional cancer treatment. CBD doesn’t necessarily stimulate appetite, but it helps reduce depleting appetite causes, such as nausea and anxiety. This, in turn, increases appetite.
- Pain: Pain gets regulated within our ECS, just like nausea. Since CBD can block specific pain receptors within the ECS, it can balance out pain levels. Currently, thousands of people use CBD to help get relief from pain.
Dosage for CBD Oil
If you are new to cannabis, it is best to start taking small doses of CBD oil and gradually increase. A suitable dosage depends on your weight and how well you absorb CBD oil. Everyone will have a unique way of experiencing the effects of CBD oil. The recommended dose is 1-6MG of CBD for every 10 pounds of body weight. If you are experiencing higher levels of pain, you can increase the dose Pure CBD Oil.
Image Source: Pexels
If you consider opting for CBD oil for nausea and vomiting, make sure to use it in smaller doses. Higher doses of CBD can induce vomiting. Moreover, you can also ingest the oil orally, vaporize into the lungs, apply topically, and even use it as a suppository. Although CBD oil helps alleviate both physical and psychological side effects of cancer, it is essential to note that it should not be considered a first-line approach.
Even if CBD oil can’t cure cancer, it can help you manage cancer symptoms and the side effects of the treatment. If you’re a cancer patient and want to consider CBD oil as a therapeutic medicine, it’s essential to consult a health professional beforehand.