What is CBD?
CBD, or cannabidiol, is a wholly natural and organic product. It acts as an alternative to standard medication for a wide variety of health problems like inflammation, mental disorders, seizures, nausea, and pain. Generally speaking, CBD is well tolerated and has a very low risk of side effects. Still, as with any new therapeutic substance, it is essential to know CBD’s pros and cons, which will help you decide if this is the best treatment option.
Pros of CBD
- Increases appetite: CBD activates receptors within the endocannabinoid system, which releases hormones that control hunger. An endocannabinoid system controls hunger and appetite but can be imbalanced by medication, illness or both. CBD restores the endocannabinoid systems’ natural balance to help stimulate appetite and reduce nausea among patients with illness or taking challenging medications.
- Reduces anxiety and depression: Research has shown that CBD might increase receptor function in the endocannabinoid system to reduce anxiety and depression and enhance mood. Cannabinoids, like CBD, moderate mood, energy and memory. They help restore the natural endocannabinoids compounds back within their optimal parameters.
- Slows down the ageing of the brain: As you age, your brain also ages, which reduces its performance. Studies have shown that the impact of CBD can eliminate the accumulation of free radicals in the brain and improve the longevity of its cells. The current hypothesis is that CBD improves brain function and activity.
- Supports joint, muscle and organ health: Some studies have supported that CBD improves muscles, joints and other organs because it reduces pain, inflammation, and more.
Cons of CBD
- Affects drug metabolism: CBD can inhibit hepatic drug metabolism and interact with some treatments and medications. Liver enzymes can also reduce their activity because of CBD, impairing your body’s ability to metabolize medications.
- Causes dry mouth: Some people report dry mouth after consuming CBD. Although this is only a minor and short term side effect, it may prove bothersome for some patients. Dry mouth from CBD is because the cannabinoid reduces the activity of saliva glands in the mouth.
- Increases the symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease: Some research notes that CBD may increase tremor intensity and muscle movement in high doses. The study which discovered this effect use extremely high doses of upwards of 400 mg per day. Low to moderate doses seem to have a pleasant and soothing effect on the same disease. People with Parkinson’s disease will want to work with a healthcare professional and start with low doses to reduce the risk of adverse effects from CBD.